Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Liberace's Greatest Hits

When I was a lil' baby watched Liberace play his grand piano on the old round cathode ray tube television and pretended to play along with him.
I loved this stuff so much so that my parents bought me a toy piano and violin, which of course couldn't really play but I tried to.
This was when I was 2 or so, and liked all sorts of shows that were musical and beautiful, or 'busical' and 'mutiful' as my pal Andy, an old black guy who was a peddler in the '80s would say when selling Valentine or Mother's Day cards, slurring his words as he nodded off to sleep.
Busical cards! Mutiful cards! Busical ca...Zzz...zzZz...Zzzz...zZz...
Would see Liberace on all the variety shows, wearing not his sequined signature outfit, but a rather conservative tux with tails.
He didn't develop that gimmick 'til much later.
Then when I was 8, saw him as Guest Villain on of all things, "BatMan", in a dual role as the Liberace by anything but the name Chantal, esteemed concert pianist, and his evil twin brutha Louie.
Believe It Or Not- this episode of BatMan was the highest rated episode of all time.
Probably a lot of baffled blue-haired old ladies tuned in for the first time and didn't quite get it.
What I couldn't get was whenever someone like Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, or Bugs Bunny even did an impression of Liberace, they'd always use the line, "You dirty rat", oops, "I wish my brother George was here."
Who?

No comments:

Post a Comment